Sunday, September 1, 2013

Newport Storm; Oktoberfest

I'm gonna try and review a new fall beer every day from September 1st till Thanksgiving. That's 89 beers, and I'm gonna fail this experiment, but here we go. Somehow I've never had a Newport Storm beer before and I was given a bottle of their Oktoberfest marzen lager to try recently, so why not start here.
Newport Storm Oktoberfest pours a nice amber, filtered so it looks incredibly crisp in the light. It leaves very little head and the 14 IBU's worth of hops leave no belgian lace on the glass. But I'm not here for the hops, I'm here for the German tradition. This is a great example of the style with a nice smell of toasted caramel which carries over to the tongue. The taste is wonderful sweet bread with a nice crisp finish with no bitterness. The tartness of some Rick's Picks' Classic Sours adds an excellent balance to the deliciousness of this sweet beer and I highly recommend a pickle and beer pairing with this beer. First beer of my marathon review session started good with a beer I'll defiantly be drinking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment