Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mystic Brewing: Will o the Wisp & India Wharf Pale Ale

About a week or so ago I found a beautiful Mystic Snifter at Goodwill and bought myself a bottle of their fall saison, Will o' the Wisp. Then the flu hits and I'm laid up with some flu like variant for about a week and have been on a steady diet of theraflu and vitamin C. In that time I acquired Mystic's newest Wigglesworth Series beer, an english style IPA, India Wharf Pale Ale so now that I'm better, let's drink them both.
For starters, Mystic Brewing makes impeccably clean tasting beers, and I've never been disappointed with anything they've put out. It's hard to explain what I mean, but these beers just always have an amazing smell, taste, and finish to them. Will o' the Wisp is their fall saison, and pours a nice brown and smells of brown sugar with something that reminds me of maple syrup. The taste is very autumn like, as if the fallen leaves distilled itself down into a wonderful elixir with some clove and pepper mixed in for good measure. The hops are in the background for this beer, giving just a slight bitterness in the finish. This is the first brown saison I've ever had and I can honestly say it's an excellently drinkable fall beer.
After that comes the new beer from Mystic's british beer series Wigglesworth, India Wharf Pale Ale. I was very recently told that Lord Falconer from last winter might not be back and is being supplemented with India Wharf. If you've read this blog, Lord Falconer was one of the best stouts I've ever tasted so I was very disappointed to hear about it's potential demise. But, fear not, India Wharf continues Mystic's tradition of wonderful beer. IWPA pours a lovely hazy golden with a nice lacy head. The smell is a musty american hops smell mixed with some earthy malt giving hints of citrus and fresh baked dark bread. The beer tastes amazingly earthy with both hop freshness and some bitterness in the finish. One sip after another is a nice balance of bitter and sweet and bitter again.
It's amazing to drink the two beers one after another. They're two completely different styles of beer yet they're both executed perfectly. I'm very thankful to have them within ten miles of my Brighton home and readily available whenever I want them. Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment