Monday, May 13, 2013

Notch: Left of the Dial



Notch Brewmaster Chris Lohring has been making beer a long time, and he understands the market. Session beer is slowly making gains in the market but sometimes a little manipulation of the situation is necessary to the greater good of the beer collective. Presenting the manipulation; Notch Left of the Dial.
It's very rare to find a beer I can drink all night that's high in ABV. I can drink Heady Topper after Heady Topper because it's amazing and so drinkable, but it also knocks me out to finish a 4 pack. That's why I love Left of the Dial. An IPA made in the traditional british style, with a base of fawcett golden promise malt and some oat malt to give this beer a touch of sweetness. Then 3 main hops, Citra, Galaxy and Simcoe cooked in to the wort to make a unbelievable beer of pure deliciousness.
I wish this beer was in a 4 or 6 pack cause it's a beer I could polish off one after another without the crushing alcohol of some of the stronger beers I love. But Chris mentions in his blog that it broke the bank to make, so I might have to buy up as many bottles I can find. He also mentions that the first beer he ever named is a homage to old analog stereos and pulling that dial to find MIT's radio station WMBR and one of my favorite local radio shows that's still going strong, Late Risers Club. It helps that Late Risers Club DJ Ben Kochan used to play my band on LRC for a good chunk of 2010, but either way, love the reference, and love the beer. I hope Chris makes it again cause it's just pure deliciousness. I'm headed out to find a few more bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment