Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sixpoint: Global Warmer


I'm a total sucker for Sixpoint. I love canned beer, and any brewery that exclusively cans just adds to that love. That brings us to Global Warmer, their newest seasonal offering. The biggest issue I have with Sixpoint is they don't tell you anything about the beer you're about to drink. What is Global Warmer? Is it spiced like a winter beer? Is it alcoholic Red Bull? Even their website, which has a nice mock expert tone, doesn't exactly tell you what style of beer this is... it might be an IPA, or an imperial amber. I'm still not sure, I've been calling in an Imperial Amber because it reminds me of one of my favorite beers in the world, Nugget Nectar but even that might not be correct. The only thing for sure is it's dam delicious. 
As soon as you crack the can the hops just leek out and immediately I become like a 50's cartoon character following scent lines to a pie on a windowsill. Pouring hard into a glass unleashes even more lovely hops into the nose. The beer is immediately floral and citrus with a dry backbone to carry the hops and a nice bitter finish. This is a beer that just tastes fresh, and it tastes very consistent with the hop tastes present the entire time. From first sip I was in love with this beer, with hop notes being first and last and everywhere in between. It also pairs very well with the scallops I made for dinner, with the citrusy hops balancing the briny seafood very well. This beer is a truly excellent hoppy beer in an already saturated hop market. Luckily there's always room for one more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment