Sunday, December 15, 2013

Goose Island: Lolita

As one of the harder to find Sisters in Goose Island's Belgian beer series, I was pumped when my salesman pulled up to the back door and carried a case in over his right shoulder, telling me it was hard to get this case for us but here it was, in the cardboard, Lolita. Lolita is a Belgian Wild Ale with Raspberry added and aged in used wine barrels. Immediately I bought up a bottle and took it home with me, opening it up with a nice braised short rib sandwich. The smell is a nice tart fruitiness with some wine sour notes everywhere, and a hint of alcohol. The first sip is a nice punch of tart, but then comes the sweetness. But the money is in the finish with some wine tartness, somewhat less punching than the first blast. Complex is definitely the descriptor of this wild lady, with some fruity raspberry and that pucker of wild Belgian yeast strain, then you get distinct wine barrel notes that almost suck the sweet right of your mouth. Every sip feels unique, with a range of flavors that make drinking this beer worth sitting back and sipping on it the entire way. I think I'll buy a few more bottles and age them to try vertically against a fresh bottle the next year, unless I drink them first.

1 comment:

  1. You better believe it, there's so good collection you may choose one come to feel nonsense. Whoever wines beer, he is definitely quick to get to sleep; whoever sleeps extensive.

    ReplyDelete