Thursday, August 1, 2013

Stone: Wootstout

I'm a pretty big nerd, so when I heard that uber-nerd Wil Wheaton would be brewing a beer with Stone Brewing for part of their collaboration series, and I knew I'd need to drink it. Wil Wheaton wrote and acted on Star Trek and writes his blog Wil Wheaton Dot Net, and makes on of my favorite podcasts, Tabletop. Tabletop is a podcast hosted by Wil where he presents a game to a group of friends and/or celebrities, explains the rules, and then they play the game. As a serious board game nerd, this is a podcast I could listen to all day just to get jazzed up to play Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne all night, and being able to enjoy a beer that Wil Wheaton got his dirty paws into while playing board games is gonna make that beer even sweeter. And then to make that beer even sweeter, they used a little pecans in the beer.
This beer was dark, too dark for the Lady to drink, so I was "forced" into drinking the entire beer. Thankfully only one fourth of this beer was aged in bourbon barrels, because the bourbon heat was subtle and nice, letting the lighter aspect of the wheat in the stout carry the subtle sweetness of the pecans and the coffee and chocolate in the malts all wash over. At 13% this beer was amazingly drinkable, and at the end of the entire bottle I was a little more inebriated that I wanted to be, so I fixed myself a nice cup of ice cream and settled into an episode of The Daily Show. Great beer, and the only problem I have is I wish it was in a 12oz bottle because I think if I have to drink another by myself it could be problematic.

No comments:

Post a Comment