Sunday, July 28, 2013

Backlash Uprising! Series 1 of 3: Catalyst

Backlash brewer Helger Pimentel has decided to make a series of double IPA's using a single hop varietal to showcase that particular hop's unique flavor profile. Beer number one in a three part series uses Amarillo Hops, a deliciously citrusy hop that also has a very good level of Alpha Acids in it to give it a bitter kick.
This beer pours so hazy that I'm pretty sure I was picking hop chunks out of my teeth after drinking it. But ugly beers also tend to taste delicious, and this beer was no different. The immediate smell is of grapefruity hops and some sweet cake. The malts never fully take a back seat but the hops are still the main attraction of this beer, and they're just delicious. The fresh grapefruit in the beginning gives way to wonderful bitterness in the finish. This beer was bright and vibrant with hops and is just excellent. I can't wait for the next two beers in the series to explore some other hop varietals.  I have my fingers crossed one of them is CTZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment