Monday, December 31, 2012

Watch City Brewing



Watch City Brewing has been operating a brewpub on Moody Street in Waltham long before I was of drinking age, so the history is a little beyond me. I do know that this year they won 2 Gold medals at the Great International Beer Festival for there Rescue 1 Kolsch and Best Strong Ale Zok's Baltic Imperial Porter. I also know that for my 28th birthday I drank quite a bit with many good friends at Watch City. What I also know is that the first time I ever went to Watch City I got my car towed cause after I decided to go see the Baxter  at the Landmark Embassy Theaters. That's my first experience with Watch City, and while it was an unpleasant cab ride to sketchy tow yard to get my shitty Chevy Malibu, it never deterred my love of fresh beer made in house at Watch City. 
Sitting at the bar and smelling the amazing Irish breakfast our bartender talks to us about the newest selections on tap, including the UberOktolager, a 9.5% lager that's he insists of giving me a sample of, which I am more than happy to recieve. The Uber Lager is so ridiculously smooth that the idea of drinking an entire one is terrifying since it'll sneak up on me so fast. 

But the beer I've fallen in love with is the Hoppothermia Cream Ale. Apparently this delicious brew was inspired by Mug Club member Ed Burke (Mug Club is a membership program at Watch City) and is made with table sugar and corn flakes to create a delicious beer that's prefect with any breakfast. And after finding out that they serve breakfast (how did I not know this all these years?) I'm in love with it. I had to take some home. A quick growler fill later I was able to pour this golden delicious beer into the previously purchased Watch City glass I had waiting at home for the most recent Patriots game. 
As for the beer itself, the moment it hit my lips I understood the term Cream Ale finally. This beer smelled like sweet cereal grains and piney hops. Sticky hops coated the glass the entire time drinking this guy. This is the absolute best cream ale I've ever tasted, and I plan to go back for another growler before it runs out. Love it. Also plan on going back for breakfast very soon. 







No comments:

Post a Comment