Sunday, December 2, 2012

Enlightenment Brut

This is my first post in the world of blog. I buy beer for 2 liquor stores and I'm sure some posts will be store related, otherwise I'll probably focus on excellent beer, especially but not exclusively locally. Anyways, my first post is dedicated to special beer being brewed in Lowell, MA.
Biere de Brut is a lost art in the craft beer world. So in honor of my first post for my blog, and to acknowledge that I've known my future wife for 2 years, I decided to pop a bottle of Enlightenment Ales Champagne de Bier to celebrate. 
Brewer and Founder of Enlightenment Ale, and former and occasional assistant at Cambridge Brewing Company, Ben Howe is making what he calls Urban Farmhouse beers using techniques usually found in traditional Champagne production. It's an incredibly tedious process that makes for natural conditioning of beer that results in a fine carbonation, and gives a lovely pop like traditional champagne. 
As for the beer itself, it pops like it should, the pour is equally satisfying, very golden delicious looking. Lots of carbonation. The smell is a little faint, with some hints of malty alcohol. The taste is very strong malt but so very light on the tongue. Almost a sipper and easy drinking blend. Very enjoyable. 11% goes down without thought. Everything I’d want to pop at New Years or for any celebratory occation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment