Monday, May 26, 2014

Stone: Sprocket Bier

When I was around fifteen I discovered public transportation. After school I'd walk to Medford Square and catch the 96 (or 94, which took way too long) to Davis Square in Somerville where I discovered all sorts of new things. Guacamole!  Indian food! What the hell is this stuff and why didn't anyone in my family ever eat this? The other discovery for me were Aero chocolate bars, first given to me by a long lost British friend. Aero chocolate bars are amazing, with nice semi sweet chocolate that were incredibly light on the tongue, unlike anything we hand out on Halloween or I could find at grandma's house.
The first sip of Stone Brewing's Sprocket Bier reminded me of my first experience with an Aero bar. It pours a deeply dense looking beer, with a nice layer of fluffy white head that quickly settles. However, in true Kolsch style, the first sip is smooth and creamy loaded with notes of roasted coffee, chocolate and smoke. The rye settles in the finish to add a nice spiceyness to the smoke that lingers in the finish. You should seek this beer out for two reasons, one, it's unique, being one of the only black ryes I've ever seen, and two because it's incredibly drinkable and full of some pretty unique flavors and textures. And really, it should be drank because new things should always be sought out to be enjoyed, consumed, and appreciated. Who knows, maybe my Mom will get Indian food with me one of these days.

1 comment:

  1. Beer tastes enjoy piss. Maybe consumers I only watch it in the bathroom with my uncle. I don't presume I've drunk enough beer to find out that.

    ReplyDelete