Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Hill Farmstead: Birth of Tragedy

Check out my sweet theme park.
I think the best thing about loving beer is having friends to drink it with. The other day I picked up a copy of a new board game I wanted, Steam Park. It's a ridiculous game about building a theme park for robots, and with a couple of phone calls I've got friends over each with bottles of beer in hand. This is usually how I end up with some of the best beers I've ever had. Case in point, my buddy Patrick brings over Hill Farmstead's Birth of Tragedy, an imperial porter brewed with honey and coffee. If you're unaware that Hill Farmstead makes amazing beers, then you really need to make the trip to Greensboro Bend, VT, it's worth hours of driving for both the beer and a beautiful Vermont countryside. So after opening a few other bottles we got to the highlight of the evening.
I could probably wax poetically about the taste of this beer for hours, but really, it's just bliss. Roasted coffee with a creamy and smooth mouthfeel, and a nice bourbon burn in the finish. This is the mouthfeel that every porter should strive to achieve, and it has the perfect balance of bourbon without overpowering it.
All tastes aside, this is what beer should be about, sharing it with friends while they earn more money from their robots than you do. I lost both games of Steam Park I played, but I got to drink Birth of Tragedy, so I'm doing just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment