Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dogfish Head: Namaste

I remember buying a bottle of Namaste a long time ago and not being a fan. It tasted clunky, with many moving parts but lacking symmetry. I remember being overpowered with Lemongrass, like drinking a dry version of Lemon Pledge, and being incredibly underwhelmed by this beer. Maybe it wasn't fresh, or maybe I had the wrong food with/after but something didn't work. Tonight I got a bottle of the newly bottled Namaste 12oz and I think I was wrong.
Dogfish Head Brewery never seems to care about current trends in the beer market, between every brewery putting out their seasonal a season too early to everyone making a session IPA, Dogfish Head just carried on. They were already making a session beer, and though it's not a hop forward one, it is still a session beer. The problem? It was way too expensive. $11 a bottle. So they decided to rectify that problem.
Recently they released Namaste, a 4.8% witbier made with Lemongrass, Orange Slices, Coriander and Peppercorns, as a 6 pack offering, and immediately I wish I had more than the one bottle. The smell is a delicious mix of orange and spice, with some of that lemongrass and pepper funk. The taste feels like it'll be sweet, with the orange coming right at you, but it's immediately dry on the tongue, with some smokey pepper and coriander on the back of the tongue. Really, it's delicious. It's both soft on the tongue and full of flavors. Something I'm very glad to have in a fridge full of dense dark beers. And at $12 a 6 pack it's much more manageable on the wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment