Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Minor League Beer #1


So I love beer, and I love sports, especially minors league anything. Just watching people who love the sport playing it the best they can is worth spending two hours watching. And I'm pretty sure the first time a piece of wood struck a sphere, baseball and beer have been fused together. There really is no better Sunday afternoon spent than with a beer in your hand and a baseball game in the background. I’m always pumped to take a road trip and luckily there are plenty of minor league ballparks within a few hours of Boston. Now craft beers always had a tough time getting into concession stands with the big three running payola with free kegs and massive amounts of advertising money to keep there beers in the best positions of the concourse.
The Pawsox’s concessions menu says absolutely nothing about some good local beer, so looks like my mission comes with no assistance. After getting to the ballpark and grabbing a hot dog, there was nothing but Budweiser and Coors Light to be found so I sat in my seat to watch Ruby de la Rosa throw 99 MPH fastballs right down the middle of the plate. Eventually I wandered into the bleacher section and buried in the corner, next to the stairs was finally what I was looking for, the craft beer stand. Local beer, made in Rhode Island, by Rhode Islanders, and it’s a shame it gets buried.
I expected them to have Narragansett, which they did, but was very pleased to find Grey Sail, Foolproof, and Revival Brewing Company all on tap, all beers that are very hard to find in Mass, Revival still being RI only. The Lady wanted a Foolproof IPA, but on a hot day in the sun, I wanted something light and refreshing, Revival Belgo Saison was absolutely perfect.
In the beautiful Sunday sunshine, Revival Saison was nice and spicy, light malty goodness with a totally dry finish, with some straw and lemony tartness. And what few sips I was allowed, the Foolproof IPA was just as amazing, with wonderful aromatic hops and good bitter bite in the finish. If it was 80 degrees out I might’ve gotten one for myself, but it was going to be another saison couple saisons for me. If you’re looking for good beer at a Pawsox game, you can find it, it just takes some exploring, but that’s why I drink beer anyways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment