Thursday, January 17, 2013

Wild Gueuze Chase

 Lambics are a very distinct type of beer traditionally brewed in the Pajottenland region of Belgium and in Brussels. They're brewed and left open to allow wild yeast and bacteria to spontaneously ferment the beer. The beer is generally 70% malted barley and 30% unmalted wheat, but can vary based on brewer.
It's so hard to find unblended lambics outside of Belgium, in fact I think it's dam near impossible. After that you're left with blended lambics that are usually mixed with fruit like raspberries, cherries or occasionally a few others like peach, strawberries and even pumpkin. I've had a handful of these types of lambics, but I've never had a strait Gueuze. A Gueuze is a blend of fresh lambic and older lambics that are bottled with excess yeast to allow a second fermentation building up carbonation and developing the beer for years. Some lambics can last for decades if cellared in the right conditions.
Anyways, I finally got my hands on a Goose and I was pumped. I love wild ales but I was seriously craving the real thing.
Last year at the Southern New Hampshire Beer Fest White Birch Brewing tapped a cask of their wild ale they made especially for the fest, and it was an amazing beast of a beer. However, it was uncarbonated, warm and it was a thousand degrees out, not ideal conditions. But St. Louis Gueuze brewed by Castle Brewery in Belgium was just what a needed after a tough Celtics loss that was 5 minutes of good play followed by 2 hours of putrid basketball. The beer was much better than the basketball. First off, it was nicely carbonated out of the bottle, leaving a nice head that slowly dissipated. The beer reeks of funky cheese and some oakyness, and the taste really sips like a tart apple chardonnay, with a very dry finish that leaves a serious tart coat over the tongue, making me want another sip almost immediately. I definitely need to score another bottle and tuck it away for a few years to see what happens to this beer after some time. It's already pretty dry but I could imagine the yeast just keep gobbling up sugars till it's a bone dry funky beast, and hopefully in a few years I'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment