Monday, February 10, 2014

Hoppin' Frog: Barrel Aged Boris

No fun February is in full effect. What is no fun February? It's where I tighten up the purse strings, pay off all debts, and clear out some stuff in the cellar that should probably be drank. Enter
Hoppin' Frog's Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S, an oatmeal imperial Stout aged in Whiskey Barrels. I've always been slightly weary of HF beers due to the high price tag, but shelling out $20+ for a barrel aged beer is completely different. Tack on a 96 rating from Beer Advocate and it seemed like $20 bucks was nothing. 
Me and Barrel Aging, or barrel aging and I have had a mixed relationship, with vanilla sludge and horrible wood grossness seeming to be the mainstream norm. But slowly I'm being broken down by excellently aged beer in whiskey barrels. Obviously Bourbon County, Jack's Abby's barrel aged beer, and now BORIS. This beer delivers in all the ways it should. 
This beer pours a wonderful black crude oil, with a mocha head that rolls up maybe half an inch before it fades. It drinks super creamy, with vanilla, coffee, roasty malt deliciousness and a distinct whiskey burn in the finish. As it warms up it just picks up a nice little heat from the barrel that adds even more enjoyment from this beer. There's nothing about this beer that isn't amazing, from it's creamy mouthfeel to the excellent sweet burn in the back of my throat. This is a beer worth seeking out and drinking now and I'm hoping I can drink it later too. When this cold long month is over I hope I can still find one somewhere sitting on a shelf, and I'll grab it without a second thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment