Monday, March 4, 2013

Jack's Abby: Cascadian Schwarzbier



How the hell have I not written about Jack's Abby yet? Hoponius Union is one of my top five favorite beers. I've never been disappointed with any of there beers. I remember getting the first bottle of beer from them. In March of 2012 Jack's Abby released its very first bottled beer in cute little half liter bottles. And what was that release? A Schwarzbier, a German style black lager originating in Thuringia, Germany dating back to the 1500s, and a type beer that just isn't too prevalent in this market. I can probably count on one hand the number of black lagers I see on the shelf. And I can tell you how many are better than Jack's Abby's Cascadian Schwarzbier: Zero. 
Cascadian Schwarzbier is, so far, the best black lager I've ever tasted, and I might be partial to the strong hops in this guy, that smell like a delicious christmas tree mixed with some roasted chocolate and coffee. The beer itself is a deep and black, and the taste itself is much more chocolate than the coffee in the nose, with delicious hop resin sticking to just about everything it can. I highly doubt the original German version of this beer is this hoppy, but I just don't care. It doesn't matter when it’s this delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment